About Tommy Scott Gilmore
I was born in Canton, Ohio the home of the National Football League Hall of Fame. Although I currently live in Asheville, NC, a part of me resides in the hearts of the lives God has spiritually impacted my life & ministry. I am eternally grateful for the significant changes He has made in my life shared in my testimony.
On the Home Front
The greatest achievement of my life was when the former Sandra V. Gault of Fountain Inn, South Carolina (My beautiful and faithful wife since June 7, 1980) said, I DO. We raised 3 wonderful adult daughters (Lindsey, Brittany & Meghan) who remain faithful followers of Jesus Christ. They are sweet, kind, beautiful, intelligent, talented, healthy and passionate about being a Difference Maker in their world. We are very proud of them. Sandra & I also have also been blessed with two precious, cute, incredibly funny and very spoiled granddaughters- Sarah Grace & Victoria.
We have lived in a lot of places. My wife Sandra had lived in the same house, on the same street, in the same town for 20 years. Since our wedding date, she has lived in 10 states & two countries. She has frequently ministered by my side in 36 states and 17 foreign countries.
I attended Washington High before graduating from Perry High School; both are located in the Massillon / Canton area of Northeastern Ohio. The area is known by college football recruiters as a national hotbed for high school football.
I received my BS degree in Education from Taylor University in Indiana and my Master’s Degree from Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary, near Boston.
I furthered my education while living in Ohio at Ashland College and Otterbein College. While residing in NC, I took classes at UNC-Asheville, UNC - Chapel Hill, AB Tech, and Blue Ridge Tech.
Motivated to maximize my communication skills I received professional training in drama at Actors Workshop at Copley Square, Boston, Ma. I took numerous speech courses at one of America's highly regarded schools of communication, Emerson College while also attending GCTS Seminary.
During high school, I competed in three sports: baseball, football, and track where I had the opportunity to regularly compete against some of the best athletes in America. Many of them went on to become professional athletes. Two whom I competed with were NFL Hall of Famer’s Thurmond Munson (NY Yankees) & and the St. Louis Cardinals Dan Dierdorf.
As a college wide receiver, I scored a 30-yard touchdown catching the first pass thrown to me in a varsity game. I initially played for Otterbein College in the Ohio Conference, considered America’s best Division all Conference. The annual winner of the conference championship has won a jaw – dropping 10 of the past 18 Division lll National Championships. The conference champion’s record since 2000 is 174 wins and 7 loses.
Desiring to attend a Christian College, with teammates having similar values I transferred to Taylor University. My greatest honor as an athlete was being selected to the national publication of Outstanding College Athletes of America.
With my eligibility over with, I nurtured my passion for sports by coaching football and swimming at Richmond High School, an annual Indiana high school sports powerhouse. Moving to Asheville after graduation I later coached football for one of the more respected 4-A schools in North Carolina. A.C. Reynolds High School of Asheville, NC.
Honors & Awards
- Twice nominated as NC Teacher of the Year
- Nominated as NC Most Creative Teacher
- Selected as Asheville’s Man of the Year
- Selected as One of NC Top 5 Young Men of the Year
- Twice selected to the national publication of Outstanding Young Men of America
- Sponsored the largest high school FCA Chapter in the nation (250 students)
- Established a Christian bicycling ministry. In 10 years 900 + students pedaled over 20,000 miles through 25 states and 12 countries while witnessing to thousands of people who had never stepped inside of an evangelical church
Ministry Success & Achievements
- Graduate of Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
- Directed the largest Singles Ministry in Minnesota
- Served as Pastor of Evangelism, Discipleship & Assimilation at fastest-growing church in SC
- Created one of top 100 student ministries in the country in Raleigh, NC
- Recognized by a nationally known small group ministry for creating a national model
- Several national church consultants recognized our student ministry for its biblical foundations, creativity & leadership development where genuine life change occurred
- Led 30+ mission tours to 20+ countries where God impacted hundreds of lives
- Spoke at one of the world’s most respected missionary churches The Peoples Church of Toronto, Canada. They annually donate over 1 million dollars to missions
- Asked to lead several college football chapels. Ex: UNC, NCSU, Tulane among others
- Ministered in 2 Maximum Security Prisons where guards were always armed
Unusual Things I've Done
- Created Rolling Vibrations, a bicycling touring ministry which challenged participants physically, mentally, socially and spiritually by riding long distances, upwards to 180 miles per day or 2,500 miles in 3 weeks. Over 900 + individuals bicycled over 25,000 miles.
- Climbed St. Goddard Pass (Elevation 6,909 ft.) in the Swiss Alps.
- Curious to experience the realities of poverty I intentionally lived on a 50 cent living allowance for 30 days in Boston’s South End during a record-setting frigid & blistery winter
- Pushed to the max physically and emotionally by participating in a Winter Wilderness Survival Course during the month of January for 30 consecutive days living in a tent in the White Mountains of NH
- I lived and ministered in an area considered Philadelphia's highest rated crime section of Philadelphia
- Experienced a side of life which many only read about by becoming friends \during graduate school with the sons & daughters of a sitting USA President, a Justice on The US Supreme Court and the author of The Living Bible
- Cheated death on several occasions by surviving 4 near fatal drownings, 3 automobile wrecks and being trapped in quicksand
- Although not always intentional I have worked a plethora of jobs. A sample of my white collar jobs was being a pastor, public school teacher and a VP of an advertising firm. In regard to blue collar jobs, I have worked wholesale & retail sales, been a janitor, a delivery man and done heavy labor. Eye openers were working on the Midway of the State Fair, cleaning stalls on a horse farm and working in a steel mill